Sunday 22 July 2012

Contest Us Cd Story - City Lights

Jess Harlen was the 3rd vocalist to jump up to the mark, for the song 'City Lights' who was in Europe touring with 'Blue King Brown' at the time I asked her and sent over beautiful demo with a by singing vocals into her laptop microphone. When she came back I has organised a session but Jess missed due to having to many fillings done at the dentist and was unable to talk properly that day, and I had brought down my old bass teacher Wylie J Miller, local busker and 'Grand Wazoo' singing sensation, which unfortunately did work out as Wylie's and Jess's vocals didn't match. The next session Jess, did make it down but was unable to record as 'City Lights' is a love song and had broken up with her partner the day before, and was only able to record back up vocals, but did bring along the recorded laptop stems and which worked perfectly, with a bit of effect added to them so we used those. Jeremedy from the band Melodics, came in next, this was a long time before he became Grey Ghost, and this time I had barely made it to, as I was still recovering from sever gastro, or love from both ends as I like to call it, which Jeremedy and wife Julia were amused with my analogy but no so with the demonstration. Once we were all in the studio it didn't take very long at all to record Jeremedy's 16 bars, which was a good thing but still managed to find myself having beers in St Kilda after the session, and found out that alcohol should be the last thing you drink, when recovering.


With Wylie's and Jess's vocals not matching I decided to contact Sony and Che-Fu's Manager at the time, and Sony gave me the go ahead and Che-Fu's managers number so I called him and had discussion with him and came to an agreement with the vocals and said it would be done within the 3 months, the time went by and rang him and asked hows it all going and said were still working on it, so I gave him a lot more time and finally said 'look ill fly you guys over and will do it here and I said ill book you a couple of shows one at Beach Rd in Bondi and the other at 'The Laundry' in Fitzroy, Melbourne which he cancelled Sydney 3 week before he was supposed to play as he thought the amount of money that had been organised wasn't enough even though he agreed to it, and then the Melbourne one the day before he was supposed to arrive and they had just printed posters for, as he kept changing his mind about flights, whether he wanted to bring a Dj or not and money upfront, but unannounced to me just trying to get out of it, Che was also in a lot of trouble at the time for tweeting the day before and leaking information about a bomb threat that had been made to a school whilst he was doing a workshop, which made front page news in New Zealand. Che's said to me look we have some time off the following weekend, so I paid him the agreed money and thought I would get the stems the next week, I was wrong they didn't come, then suggest to Logan Bell from Katchafire, as I had him inline for a track, and thinking he might be able to push Che's manager but no Logan would have to be one of the busiest musicians I've met. At this point I decided to contact Kylie Auldist from the Bamboo's to come in and record on 'City Lights' as I was blown away with a performance I'd seen her do at the Espy and then hung out with her at a 70's themed wedding video clip shoot for our mutual friend Shirley Davis. Che's manager offered me a brand new complete track, which I thought was amazing and agreed to straight away but after a while of no communication and was waiting for the individual tracks, I contacted Che-Fu directly asking him what was happening with the track, which he knew nothing about his ex manger giving me the track, the payment that had been made and Che said that he had he fired him and had no contact with him further and had to talk with his new manager so sort it all out, which I did before long Che and his new manager were on a plane and came over to record, but by this time there was no more space left at this point pf recording so I unfortunately had to remove Kylie from the track, but her backing vocals are till there. I was having alot of issues with the drums and finding the right sound for them so I brought in Mech MC, a ex band member and Australian champion Beat boxer to come to get a roots feel through the track, which unfortunately didn't work but did manage to keep parts in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment