Sunday 22 July 2012

Contest Us Cd Story - Contest US and Nomad Remix

The first vocalists I brought into record was King Kapisi and wife Teremoana Rapley, for the song 'Contest Us'. I met King Kapisi through booking him and Daimon 'The Nomad' Schwalger for 'DNBBQ' in Melbourne with Sydney based record company 'Foreign Dub' and had asked Kapisi to record on my album whilst here, to which he accepted. At 'DNBBQ' I introduced King Kapisi and Mantra, who was at the event and I had known from him hosting 'Street Poetics' and 'Illzilla'. At DNBBQ the 3 of us were getting quite inebriated on shots of Agwa and before long the two were freestyling, and I had the idea instantly to put Mantra on the track as well. In the studio Kapisi would have to be the fastest, and most precise vocalist on the compilation, he knew exactly what he wanted and how he wanted it to sound, Teremoana or Terry she's known to those close to her, is a 80's and 90's New Zealand singing legend, Terry jumped up on the microphone for a verse which she had written on her old Nokia phone which I thought was a very strange as I wouldn't be able to read off of them now, but she had skill as she was able to read off it from a distance whilst recording her vocals. I was most impressed with Mantra's session it took a few goes to put it down but he also knew what he wanted with beat drop outs and to grab Kapisi's vocals for his verse. I regard Mantra as one of the most talented and dexterous rappers in Australia, it frustrates me that his not as big as 'Hilltop Hoods' or 'Bliss n Eso' and I still don't understand half the words he is rhyming in his 16 verse. The Nomad was at the session as well and pointed out the track was at a tempo of 88 bpm, and said 'its perfect tempo for a drum and bass remix', so I allowed him to take the vocal tracks at the end of the session and 3 weeks later I had a remix to add to the track listing.Contest Us and Nomad Remix

No comments:

Post a Comment